Make a Big Splash About the Constitution for the New Socialist Republic in North America (Draft Proposal)
Revolution Books in Cambridge is calling for volunteers to help to stir up the scene at Harvard on the weekend of September 24-25.
On that weekend, the Conference on the Constitutional Convention is taking place. It is co-sponsored by the Harvard Change Congress and sections of the Tea Party. It is a gathering of self-described "left" and right forces, meeting to discuss whether a special "constitutional convention" is needed to deal with the fact that "our Republic does not work as our Framers intended." That a section of liberal-progressives is seeking common ground with the reactionary Tea Party is not a positive development. But the conference is likely to bring out some progressive forces and students, and attract media attention.
The main thing people at Harvard and those coming out to this conference should be hearing about is the Constitution for the New Socialist Republic in North America (Draft Proposal) from the Revolutionary Communist Party, USA. A new challenge will be put before them: there really is a visionary, viable, and very concrete alternative to this capitalist-imperialist system.
Volunteers are needed to help in different kinds of ways:
- To get out palm cards about the new Constitution, and to sell the Constitution.
- To mass leaflet the event with passages from BAsics and other writings by Bob Avakian.
- To be part of circulating challenges to debate: "You want to talk about what the Framers 'originally intended'—let's talk about slavery…You want to talk about freedom, let's talk about two different visions of freedom and society, and two different constitutions."
- To be part of crews going out among students and into dorms to stir interest and debate about the revolution we need and the leadership we have.
- To build for a provocative talk by Raymond Lotta.
This is going to be fun and important…the opening salvo of a big effort this fall to push out with the Constitution for the New Socialist Republic in North America. And other campus events are taking place in the Boston area that weekend.
On Friday night, September 23, we'll be hosting an open house at Revolution Books in Boston-Cambridge to orient people.
To volunteer, get in touch with Revolution Books in Cambridge at email@example.com, or leave a message at (617) 492-5443.