"...art: an element in which Freud did not bathe without mishap."
- Poe was born into a nation where one world was dying [slavocracy, pre-capitalist economic formations], another being born [capitalism].
- Poe: the son of itinerant actors.
- Poe: stepson of slaveholders, but an outsider.
- West Point: contempt and self-contempt manifest the contradiction.
- Rationalizing idealism: Eureka: A Prose Poem,
- In the antebellum period, lack of bourgeois national economic unity meant no ground for aesthetic unity: no ground for a national literary magazine, Poe's great project.
- Poe & Antebellum United States: forbidden, unwholesome topics outlawed from respectable conversation by the polite hypocrisies of bourgeois society.